Cool smoothie + hot day = the perfect summer combo. Photo: Wikimedia Commons
Cool smoothie + hot day = the perfect summer combo.

It’s hot and you’re thirsty! Smoothies don’t need to be expensive treats you reward yourself with at Zest after a long day at the lib. Instead, they can be an amazing way to start the day with an energy boost, especially during the summer when you have lots of fruits to mix and match. What’s great is that smoothies are full of vitamins, potassium, antioxidants and fibers, and with simple ingredient changes they can easily become vegan and dairy-free. Try these simple and delicious recipes to create smoothies any colour of the rainbow.

Creamy Clementine Smoothie

Why do all smoothies have some kind of berry in them? They don’t need to. With this easy recipe, give clementines a chance. The banana magically transforms the smoothie into a creamy drink.

Mix one cup milk (substitute almond milk for a dairy-free version),  4 clementines*, one frozen banana, two tablespoons of honey, half a cup of plain Greek yoghurt, one teaspoon of vanilla and a handful of ice in a blender. Pulse until smooth and enjoy!

* If you don’t have clementines, substitute the juice from half an orange instead.

Peach and Yoghurt Smoothie

This is a simple, subtly sweet smoothie. Use frozen peaches instead of adding ice cubes for a perfectly smooth texture. You can also add a scoop of vanilla flavoured protein powder to give it a protein boost.

In a blender, whip together one cup sliced frozen peaches, a scant cup of peach or vanilla yoghurt and two-thirds a cup of milk (or almond milk).

Watermelon Frosty

Personally fresh and sweet watermelon is one of my favourite parts of summer. Watermelon is the perfect combination of juicy, watery and sweet. I guess if I had to choose one fruit to deem the queen of fruits I’d nominate watermelon, so it goes without saying this is one of my favourite summer smoothies. A sneaky tip is to splash it with two shots of tequila to serve at summer parties.

Mix one-and-a-half cups of frozen watermelon cubes, one-and-a-half cups of water, two tablespoons of maple syrup or honey, the juice of one lemon and one banana in a blender. Only as much water as is needed for the smoothie to come together; too much water will ruin the texture of the drink.

Avocado Pear Smoothie

This is a great healthy recipe that you can prepare in under two minutes. Just make sure the pear you choose is very ripe, soft and sweet to balance out the avocado.

Add half a cup of plain non-fat Greek yoghurt, half a ripe avocado (peeled and chopped), one ripe pear (chopped), two teaspoons of honey, one-fourth a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a handful of ice to a blender. Mix until smooth. Served topped with coconut flakes, which give the smoothie a delicious crunch.

Smoothies are the perfect excuse to use up all your summer produce. Photo: Wikimedia Commons
Smoothies are the perfect excuse to use up all your summer produce.

Pink Pomegranate Smoothie

Pomegranate seeds are known to be very rich in fibers, potassium and antioxidants. This is a delicious recipe to get the full health benefits of pomegranate seeds while still enjoying a refreshing drink on hot summer days.

Whip together one very ripe banana*, half a cup of frozen pomegranate seeds, one cup of frozen strawberries and one-and-a-half cups of vanilla soy milk in a blender.

* For a thicker smoother, use a frozen banana.