St Andrews ranked as the top university in Scotland

1

The University of St Andrews has been ranked as the top university in Scotland, and third best in the United Kingdom after Oxford and Cambridge, according to a new higher education league table released today (Tuesday 26 May).

The Guardian University Guide 2016 also places St Andrews as the only Scottish university in the top 15 of the 119 universities ranked.

The Guardian’s league tables rank universities according to: spending per student; the student/staff ratio; graduate career prospects; what grades applicants need to get a place; a value-added score that compares students’ entry qualifications with their final degree results; how satisfied final-year students are with their courses, based on results from the annual National Student Survey (NSS).

St Andrews’ academic schools performed strongly with four – Computer Science, Geography, International Relations and Divinity – being ranked as the best in the UK.

Chemistry, History, Philosophy and Art History all secured second place while Physics, English and Earth and Marine Science were ranked third.

Management, Classics and Mathematics were all ranked in the UK top five, and Biosciences, Medicine, Modern Languages and Psychology were placed in the top ten.

This follows the release of the Leiden Ranking 2015, released last week, which places St Andrews as the 45th best university in the world out of a survey of 750 institutions.

St Andrews also placed fifth in the UK and top in Scotland in The Complete University Guide 2016, released last month.