Photo credit: Marvel Studios
Photo credit: Marvel Studios

Summer cinema seems trapped in the paradoxical state in which the excitement about the multitude of big blockbusters is contrasted with the depression felt at being inside at the cinema on a summer’s day. Yet, despite this eternal struggle, upcoming summer cinema does look note worthy.

Everyone’s favourite acapella girls return for a second musical excursion. Anna Kendrick and the ultimate Australian diva Rebel Wilson are taking the Barden Bellas global, with songs that will undoubtedly be stuck in your head for duration of the break. Although this will undoubtedly be a big a huge blockbuster hit, especially among the pre-teen audiences, it is highly doubtful that Pitch Perfect 2 will bring anything that hadn’t been done better in the previous aca-instalment.

It is no surprise everyone’s favourite superhero movie is back again this summer, When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and it is up to the Avengers to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plans. I’m sure film goers will revel in seeing Robert Downey Jr flaunt his riches with the semi-autobiographically arrogant character (minus super powers obviously). The sheer spectacle of The Avengers series will make this a film not to miss.

Paul Rudd stars in a film about superhero technology that is used to decrease their size but increase their strength. Scott Lang (Rudd) must use his new found powers to pull off the perfect heist. Do we really need another superhero movie with a poor premise and predictable plot? I think not.

It still seems incredulous that this franchise that centres entirely on lusting after Channing Tatum’s abs has not yet run its course, but it seems that director Steven Soderbergh has managed to squeeze out a second weak storyline to accompany the films outrageously gaudy sex appeal. This will probably not be worth seeing, but Channing will probably reel in quite an audience anyway.

The sell-out 1993 franchise makes a return in this sequel 12 years since the original blockbuster. In this sequel to Steven Spielberg’s classic, Isla Nublar has been made into a full blown Dinosaur theme-park slash island. Chris Pratt stars as Owen Grady, a member of staff at the park who conducts research on some of the resident velociraptors in order to create a genetically modified super-dinosaur. Madness presumably ensues. Apart from thinking surely they must realise that dinosaurs cannot be used for human entertainment by now, this looks like a spectacular feat of animation if nothing else, and certainly will be worth the 12 year wait.

Overall this summer’s films seem to have opted for safe money makers rather than anything overly creative or ground-breaking. The multitude of sequels will most likely fall short and end up forgotten. This said, there are some films that are exciting in prospect and should be perfect for something to do on one of the many pointless days during the holidays.