Photo Credit: NBC
Photo Credit: NBC

Orphan Black

Orphan Black returns for its third season this summer after its shaky, but still engaging sophomore effort. Definitely, worth watching from the start, Orphan Black tells the story of a young mother who discovers that she is one of an unknown number of clones, leading her on an adventure to discover her true origin and purpose. The last series ended in a moment of relative stability for the clone sisters, so the premier is likely to start systematically tearing that consistency apart. Anchored by an amazing ventral performance by Tatiana Maslany as all six (or so) clones, this is creative, original summer programming, well worth your time over the break.

Hannibal

Having left its sublime second sea-son on a pretty dire cliff-hanger, the status quo looks to be shaken up in this forthcoming instalment. Starring Mads Mikkleson (Casino Royale) and Hugh Dancey (Ella Enchanted and probably other cooler stuff), this show is not for the faint of heart if the gore of previous series sets any precedent. Though, if you can stomach it, then this is one of the most beautifully filmed and acted shows on TV today.

Sense8

Fresh from the lukewarm reception that greeted Jupiter Ascending, the Wachowski siblings are finally releasing their new venture into television, Sense8. The series will finally be broadcast on Netflix this June, after months of scheduling delays. The whole thing is shrouded in mystery, but what we know for sure is that it’s a “global story of minds linked and souls hunted”, meaning that it’s about eight people who suddenly find themselves linked in their thoughts and emotional states. Definitely sounds like it’s worth a look at the very least.

True Detective

The big success story of last year, True Detective returns for its second season this summer. The anthological nature of the series means that the old guard of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are being replaced by Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams. Not too much is known about the plot of the second run, but the standard of the first leads one to expect great things from the writing team.

Aquarius

NBC’s most significant new offering this summer is a drama about the early days of renowned American serial killer, Charles Manson. The programme will look at Manson’s journey to becoming a murderer from the perspective of the LA police sergeant dedicated to watching and tracking Manson. David Duchovny, of The X Files fame, is attached to star as the detective opposite that guy who played Renley Baratheon on Game of Thrones, as Manson. The fact that it’s already been ordered for a full thirteen episode season before broadcast shows faith on the part of the network, means it’s potentially something to get excited about.