Re:fashion’s second event outshines its first

0
Photo: Daniil Lapko

On Monday 13 April, Re:fashion took over Parliament Hall. By selling used student clothing, Re:fashion aims to promote sustainable shopping, as well as raise money for the University’s Charities Campaign. Commencing at 7pm, the venue was instantly crowded. Students eagerly sorted through designer and high street wares, and the atmosphere maintained a fast pace. Despite the initial chaos, the room was organized and upbeat, peppy house music heightening the mood. Having doubled inventory since its inaugural event, Re:fashion featured more designer garments this time around. In particular, the two main designer deals were a £50 Burberry jacket and an Alexander Wang Rocco bag. In addition to designer pieces, high street staples from Urban Outfitters and H&M were also featured. Contrary to the thrift store stereotype, the inventory was clean and most items appeared lightly worn or brand new.

After the first hour, most of the inventory had been taken, a sign of a successful event. However, although the inventory was of high quality, those who arrived later in the evening were disappointment as most of the clothing has been sold already. Like most up-and-coming events, however, there is always room for improvement. Within Parliament Hall, coordinating changing rooms posed a big challenge, and created chaos for the eager shoppers. Although the washrooms were suitable, there were often too many girls changing in one space at a time. Additionally, the student attendees were predominantly female: with skirts and dresses dominating the venue, menswear only accounted for two small clothing racks. In spite of the female majority, however, the menswear selection was well selected, though small. Hopefully in the future Re:fashion will cater to the town’s fashionable male students as well, and not just to the female fashionistas.

On the whole, Re:fashion exceeded expectations. With St Andrews being such a small town, and therefore unable to provide a broad selection of shopping opportunities, Re:fashion exploited the student community’s love for fashion. The stock was season appropriate, fashionable and afford able. As it provided this reviewer with a new jumper, it was far more successful than most trips to the local H&M.

Photo: Daniil Lapko
Photo: Daniil Lapko