A memorial is to be held by students at the University in order to remember the 147 people killed in a militant assault on a university in Garissa in North East Kenya.

The event will begin at 11 am on Monday 27 April in St Salvator’s Quad. The event will consist of a minute’s silence, with students holding up the names of those killed on pieces of paper.

The event comes after the European University Association EUA called for, “Higher Education Institutions, Students’ Unions and any other institutions and organisations to observe this one minute’s silence all over Europe.”

The statement, made on a Facebook event page organised by the European Students’ Union (ESU) and EUA, also said: “While the events in Garissa stand out in their barbarity, we draw attention to the appalling reality that attacks continue to happen every day. Any act of violence or attack on education runs counter to the fundamental university values of freedom of thought and expression, tolerance and autonomy and undermines the ambition and fundamental right of any person to gain qualifications and make a contribution to their nation, society and the world.

“In keeping with its endorsement of the principles of the Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack, EUA and ESU call on universities across Europe and beyond to unite in solidarity in condemning these recent and any other forms of violence against education.”

The siege on the university took place on Thursday 2 April, with heavily armed gunmen storming Garissa University College, firing indiscriminately at students and taking hundreds of people hostage. 500 were able to escape with 79 people injured. Four of the gunmen died after they were surrounded and their suicide vests detonated and a fifth gunman  has reportedly been arrested.

The attack was the worst in the country so far by the al-Shabab group which is connected to al-Qaeda.