From Sancti Andreae to ice cream sundae

0

A thousand years after religious devotees first travelled to St Andrews to worship before the relics of a saint, the town can now claim a new pilgrimage – for photos with a giant golden ice cream.

According to The Daily Record, Jannettas’ success at the 2014 Golden Cone Awards – where it was named the best ice cream parlour in Scotland – has made its owner, Owen Hazel, something of a minor celebrity on Asian social media. Tourists from China in particular have reportedly been queueing up to have their photo taken with Mr Hazel and the trophy, which is shaped like an oversized golden ice cream cone.

Mr Hazel told The Record: “They always want me in the picture too. It’s not usually my cup of tea to be the centre of attention and it’s a bit strange to feel that I might be a minor celebrity in Shanghai, but I do love it.”

Jannettas has recently re-opened after a three-month refurbishment of its South Street store, where it has been based since it opened in 1908. Its founder, Bennett Jannetta, was the great-grandfather of Mr Hazel’s wife Nicola. The cafe was also named retail business of the year at The Courier’s local business awards in November.