Big Top is Back

0
Photo: Lorcan Obrien

With spring break just coming to a close, and the horror that is week 8 upon us, fret not for the circus is coming to town! Big Top Ball, the “circus themed extravaganza” now in its third year, will definitely wipe away any traces of those post holiday blues. I’ve heard many good things about the ball, which is why I am very excited to be able to see a St Andrews rendition of the circus.

The Saint caught up with Amanda Hollinger, the Charities Campaign’s ball convenor, or in line with our circus theme; the ringmaster of the Big Top Ball. Amanda was on last year’s committee and helped out with marketing and publicity for the ball. Run by the Charities Campaign, a subcommittee of which every matriculated student is a member of, it is only natural that the ball that they host will be “fun, welcoming and light-hearted” where “nobody takes themselves too seriously!” Even better is that all the proceeds from the ball go to the Charities Campaign’s three selected charities for the academic year: Families First (local charity), Macmillan Cancer Support (national charity) and Médcins Sans Frontières (international charity), ensuring that they are able to make an impact not just on the local stage, but also an international one.

Photo: Lorcan Obrien
Photo: Lorcan Obrien

This year, the Big Top Ball committee have a new drinks sponsor: Fire Eater; a cinnamon flavoured liquor with whiskey. They will be donating a few bottles of their finest as part of the raffle prizes. Other corporate sponsors of the event include local favourites Forgans, Mitchells and Rascals – each of which will be donating dining vouchers as prizes in the raffle. Each raffle ticket is 50p, the same as a token that could be used at the various stalls at the event such as the face painting, circus games, cotton candy, popcorn and cupcakes.

What’s new is that there will be a fortune teller ready to read your palms and reveal what the future has in store for you. After last year’s rapid sale of popcorn, the committee are providing more options in the form of Dervish pizzas and burgers and pick and mix (if cotton candy doesn’t quite quell your sweet tooth.) Amanda and her team are “building on the success of the previous year’s event, hoping that they make it bigger and better.”

In the spirit of the circus, the dress code is “black tie with a circusy twist,” so be sure to spruce up your outfits with some animal prints and oomph. Tickets are still available for £30 online at the Union’s website. Raffle tickets and tokens will also be on sale at the wristband collection in case people want to buy them in advanced. So be sure to arrive at the giant circus tent at Lower College Lawn on 11 April for an unforgettable trip to the circus.

Photo: Lorcan Obrien
Photo: Lorcan Obrien