Photo: TEDxUniversityofStAndrews
Photo: TEDxUniversityofStAndrews

Hosted at the Byre theatre, getting to the TEDx talk was a long journey, most certainly on a Sunday morning. There are not many things that can get me out of bed before midday on a Sunday, but here I was at 10:20, ready to be enlightened and excited to hear the speakers at this year’s TEDx event. The set up of the event was very professional: upon entry I was provided with a gift bag and directed to the coffee and sponsor stalls. The day was well structured, with a total of 11 speakers. The audience members were given 2 breaks to be able to digest and appreciate the gravity of the lectures.

Though I initially failed to grasp what the commonality was between all the speakers that this year’s committee had chosen, as the day went on, I began to realise that the committee had truly gone back to the very roots of the TEDx’ purpose of “ideas worth spreading”.

[pullquote]The committee had gone back to the basis of the TEDx motto: “ideas worth spreading”. [/pullquote]

I found Ms Dereli’s piece on the global economy to be particularly interesting. Ye in spite of this riveting start, some audience members appeared to not fully grasp Mr Kagge’s discussion of the power of silence. Darshita Gillies, however, talked about the power of millennial and how us, ‘the little miracles’, need a wider representation on executive boards. The idea of how the world is becoming a smaller and smaller place was presented to us by Simone Barillari whose project, ‘the Global Hamlet’, is based on crowdsourcing literature. Finally, there was Tess Serranti, who addressed the untouched potential that the African continent held.

There was definitely an impressive array of quality student speakers at the Tedx event. Francois-Xavier Ada, a post-grad student addressed the notion of needing to be rich in Africa to avoid being poor. The second, Oli Clayton, a fourth year studying Anthropology, encouraged us to not only step outside our comfort zones, but to question everything that we hear, instead of taking it as gospel. He also addressed the loss of boredom in this day and age: the window which once led to creativity. The last student speaker, Agnes, discussed the idea of experiencing happiness through poetry: an uplifting way to end the day’s event. Overall, the conference was insightful and a great way to spend my Sunday.