Treasures of Fife on display in postgraduate run exhibition

0
Photo: Sammi McKee

From Saturday 14 March to Sunday 17 May, visitors to the St Andrews museum will be able to view a collection of Fife archaeological treasures brought together for the first time. The exhibition, entitled Treasures of the Kingdom, has been curated by six postgraduate students as part of their Museum and Gallery Studies course.

The exhibition, subtitled “Fife’s Decorative Heritage Unearthed,” will present visitors with ‘”exciting opportunity to discover the wonders of Fife’s archaeology,” according to a statement from the University.

The artefacts on display will give visitors a chance to explore the different styles and decorations used throughout the ages all across Fife.

The 200 pieces have been divided into eight categories: form and function, jewellery and apparel, politics and trade, everyday ornamentation, religious, mysterious treasures, afterlife objects and those retrieved from a Dunfermline dig.

Objects on show will include a 16th century gold skeleton ring, coins, pilgrim badges, funerary objects and the Kilrenny stone.

The ring contains traces of enamel and is engraved with the phrase, ‘COGITA MORI,’ representing the fashion of the period. The coins originate both from England during the time of Edward I and from Scotland during Alexander III’s reign and are being exhibited for the first time following their discovery in 2014.

In addition to the exhibition, a number of workshops, lectures and events will accompany the display, including a talk on archaeological finds from within Fife as well as a drop-in finds day for the discussion of exciting objects that visitors may have found themselves.

Alix Marion, one of the postgraduate students curating the exhibition stated: “We hope to appeal to a lot of people from Fife, for it is a way for them to re-discover the history and the treasures of their county.”

With regards to collating the objects, she added: “we have all been having a brilliant time gathering the objects, doing the research and working as a team to present our exhibition to the public. For most of us, this the very first experience and now we’re considered as ‘junior curators,’ which is a big step in our career!”

Admission to the exhibition is free.