A police helicopter will be deployed over St Andrews during the Open as part of plans announced by Police Scotland to keep the town safe during the famous golf tournament.

The Open, which will take place this July, is set to attract hundreds of thousands of visitors to St Andrews. To reduce the traffic problems this could cause, a new car parking facility will be opened at Cairnsmill Farm just outside the town. Along with the existing car park at Seggie Farm, this will provide parking facilities on both the main roads into St Andrews.

These plans were announced at a public meeting held by the police in St Andrews last night. Options for traffic control raised at the meeting included creating alternative routes within the town, parking restrictions and providing sufficient arrangements for public transport and tour buses.

Though the police assured residents that although no threats had been made against the Open, security would be tight.

There will be a central control system receiving feeds from CCTV, helicopter and television cameras. At the meeting, members of the police said that this year’s Open would be the most thoroughly monitored ever.

The police said that they had already received inquiries about travel from people as far afield as the USA and Japan. Throughout the tournament, a twitter feed #opentravel will provide updates and advice for travellers.