DW 2015: an outstanding event

0
Photo: Daniil Lapko

Let me begin by saying that last Saturday, I was, by all accounts, having a bloody terrible day. A stay-in-bed- and-never-leave kind of terrible day. A day so terrible that you think “why is today not over yet?”. I was pretty much the last person in the world who should have been reviewing an event. But, pull myself out of bed I did because I’m a firm believer that there’s nothing that a G&T and some über hot models can’t fix. And I was right; somehow, against all of the odds, DONT WALK 2015 managed to turn my terrible day into a wonderful night.

Photo: Daniil Lapko
Photo: Daniil Lapko

Kicking off at 8 pm, the rooms of Kinkell buzzed with excitement as guests made their way to their champagne-adorned tables. If I’m being critical, I’d say that for guests who had paid up to £100 for their tickets, there could have been more on the tables in terms of alcohol. Although I do recognise the ridiculousness of that statement. Only in St Andrews is two bottles of champagne per table just not enough.

By the time the show kicked off, attendees had swarmed towards the catwalk, lining the white walkway in anticipation. The opening was sensational, and, true to DONT WALK form, a bit weird. The crowd loved it. The notorious lingerie portion of the evening also went down well, particularly among the male attendees. Big surprise there.

Photo: Daniil Lapko
Photo: Daniil Lapko

I take my hat off to the girls that were brave enough to strip down to their undies in front of hundreds of their peers all in the name of charity; you guys looked incredible.

All of the models were, of course, gorgeous and as they sashayed their way down the catwalk with equal parts of grace and charisma, eyes across the room glittered with lust and envy. The ethereal-looking beauties wore every outfit well, and the overall effect was one of elegance, edginess and enthusiasm. Sure, all of the pieces weren’t to my taste (what I am officially naming as the yellow “banana suit” springs to mind here), but from what I can gather, that’s not really the point of high end fashion.

However, fashion wasn’t left only to the models. Guests had also clearly pushed the boat out and taken a few liberties with the dress code. I saw a number of risqué dresses and lots of out-there eye makeup that only a DONT WALK attendee could pull off.

Photo: Daniil Lapko
Photo: Daniil Lapko

I’ve never been to London Fashion Week but I’d imagine that DONT WALK wasn’t too far off the mark. The level of professionalism that had gone into the show made it easy to forget that we were indeed watching a student-run event.

I think we can all agree that some of the marketing in the run-up was a little pretentious, but in the end, the DONT WALK committee 2015 pulled off an incredible show. So incredible in fact, that I went to bed feeling energised and optimistic – a long ways away from how I’d felt two hours before the event.

So I’d say a big well done is definitely deserved for the DONT WALK committee. The evening exceeded my expectations, lifted my mood and raised what I can only imagine were thousands of pounds for charity. All in all, DONT WALK 2015 was an outstanding event.