Around St Andrews for a few days during spring break?

2
Photo by: Jonathan Milton

Everyone deserves a break even if it is only a thirty minute bus ride away. These trips will give you some time to relax and enjoy the local communities we are so rarely exposed to during term. With the purchase of a dayrider bus ticket (£7.20), you can bus over to the fishing villages along the Fife coast or the countryside and enjoy various unique attractions. The ride to each spot ranges from 30-45 minutes and is accompanied by the beautiful scenery of the Fife countryside. If scenery is your thing, walk there along the Fife Coastal Path! The walk ranges from about three to four hours but is worth it for the views and the exercise, plus you can always take the bus back.

Anstruther: Known worldwide, the Anstruther Fish Bar is award-winning and worth the bus journey! It costs £8-10 to sit in or you can choose to eat your fish and chips by the gorgeous harbour (around sunset is the best time) for a couple pounds less!

Photo by: Danielle Golds
Photo by: Danielle Golds

Scottish Deer Centre: Take a trip to the countryside and experience some wildlife first hand. The centre is comprised of 55 acres and 14 different types of deer. For only a £1 entry fee you can feed the animals as well as see otters and wolves.

Photo by: Jonathan Milton
Photo by: Jonathan Milton

Crail: A sleepy fishing village with an overall sense of calm and peace. It is a great place to go drink a lovely cup of tea by the sea. The Crail Harbour Gallery and Tearoom offers a menu of cakes, sandwiches and scones that range from £ 6-15 in a gallery of sea-related art and knick knacks.

Tentsmuir Forest: Although no buses take you directly to Tentsmuir, you can take the bus to Leuchars and catch a cab there or if you have a car, you can drive there in about 20 minutes. There’s plenty to see and plenty to do. Hiking in the beautiful forest is strongly recommended or go for a walk on the beach and catch a new view of the sea. There are also opportunities for seal and other wildlife watching!

Pittenweem: This small town has recently been named of one the nation’s best countryside residences by The Sunday Times. It was one of only five Scottish towns that made it into the top 50.

Towns were ranked using categories such as crime rates, house prices, school performance and local knowledge. The positive community spirit and range of outdoor spaces were also key indicators used by the guide.

What Pittenweem lacks in facilities, it makes up for in character. The village name means place of the cave, referring to St Fillan’s cave in Cove Wynd, which was used as a chapel by St Fillan in the 700s. Over the intervening centuries the cave has been largely respected as a shrine, though it was once used to store fishing nets. In the 1930s the cave was re-dedicated and services are still held there. The key to enter is available from the nearby Pittenweem Chocolate Co. in return for a one-pound donation.

Photo by: Danielle Golds
Photo by: Danielle Golds

Pittenweem is now the most active of the fishing ports in the East Neuk of Fife and sits at the heart of a local trade network. The High Street is just up the hill behind the harbour and is home to a fine selection of art galleries and shops.

The town is one of the jewels of the Fife coastal path. The short walk to Anstruther is particularly popular for its views along the rugged coastline. Thus, the appeal of Pittenweem is only emphasised by its surrounding area, and is certainly worth a visit.

1. Just wondering, how did you get the £1 entry fee for the Deer Centre? On their page it says it would be £6.70 – just want to make sure there isn’t some deal I don’t know about 🙂