The Saint’s Top 8

0

Under Canvas Launch

Kickstarting one of the biggest events in the Spring semester, Under Canvas Festival, has its launch party on Thursday 19 February at 1 Golf Place from 10 pm. With Music by Saunit and Soul Patch, 10 per cent off drinks all night and the announcement of the tune up for 2015, this is a night not to be missed. Entry is £3. #getunder.

Rectorial Installation

On Friday 20 of February, Younger Hall will feature the installation of Catherine Stihler, the University’s 52nd Rector. In addition to this address, the President of the Students’ Association and the Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University will deliver their own personal speeches. Tickets to this historic event can be purchased via the Union.

DRAFP Ball

With the theme of “a Midsummer Night’s Dream”, this year’s DRA ball promises a magical night at the newly-decorated enchanted gardens of Kinkell Byre. The ball will feature performances by the Other Guys, Beat a Maxx DJ SAUNIT and John Doe, as well as serve complementary cocktails, Jannetta’s ice-cream and Blackhorn wraps.

Bindi is Back

Following a sell out event in October, the South Asian Society brings the last Bindi night of the year to the Scores hotel on 20 February from 9 pm. Promising a night of “pulsating rhythms and tunes,” this is the perfect time to immerse yourself in Bollywood dance and show some serious moves on the dance floor. Tickets are £6 for members and £8 for non members. The time and date of ticket sales are yet to be announced.

The Laramie Project

Exploring themes including hate crimes and homophobia is the thought provoking ‘Laramie Project’, written by Moses Kaufman and performed by the Mermaids at the Barron Theatre 20-22 February at 7:30 pm. The play seeks to explore the community effect of crime and is based on the true events of 1998 in Laramie, which witnessed a homophobic murder. Tickets are £5 on the door but can be reserved by emailing @barronboxoffice.

Oz Ball

The Yellow Brick Road is com-ing to St Andrews with the Oz Ball, hosted by the University of St Andrews Dance Society on 27 of February. Don your black tie with a touch of glitter and head to Younger Hall from 8:30 pm for a night promising to be as great as the Carnival Ball in 2014. Ticket sales are outside the Vic on 11 February from 1-4 pm. Tickets are £15 and include a glass of punch on arrival, Janetta’s ice cream, big Band and dance performances throughout the night. At least 25% of profits will go to Families First St Andrews.

SAASUM

On 28 February, St Andrews Africa Summit (SAASUM) will be hosting their first annual conference on the influence of the media in Africa. Focusing on the way in which the media plays a role in moulding social and economic affairs. The conference has attracted a plethora of speakers, including award-winning journalists, the founder of Modern Mobile Entertainment, and the CEO of Global Media Alliance. On top of having the opportunity to listen to these ground-breaking speakers, attendees of this conference will enjoy refreshments and their own personal goodie-bags.

StAnza

From 4-8 March, St Andrews will host StAnza, one of the leading poetry festivals in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1998, the festival has drawn major con-temporary poets and artists from all corners of the world. With the theme of “Unfinished Business”, this year’s festival will showcase top-class poets, with headliners including Simon Armitage and Christine De Luca. While the event itself focuses on poetry, there will also be film exhibitions, as well as stunning performances by musicians and dancers