Association chair

Current position holder: Zara Evans

Position description: The role of Chair has three principal components. The Chair serves as the presiding officer of the Councils and Executive Committee and is responsible for ensuring that debate is orderly and fair. The Chair is the chief administrative officer for the student-side of the Association, and accordingly manages agenda, minutes, attendance records, etc. In that role, the Chair also schedules meetings and determines when the Executive Committee should be convened.

The Chair also advises other officers on procedure and structure; the advice mostly concerns how to enable officers to do what they want to do with the confines of the Association’s constitution, laws and relevant statutes. Additionally, the Chair serves as a trustee of the Association. Finally, the Chair is required to maintain impartiality, dispense advice dispassionately and be politically aware without being political.

Association community relations officer

Current position holder: Clare Armstrong

Position description: The role of this officer is to bridge the gap between ‘Town’ and ‘Gown’. This is achieved by attending several community groups and representing students’ views. In this role there are a huge variety of campaigns you can get involved with – previous years have seen campaigns on bike lights, noise pollution late at night and changes to HMO licenses affecting students in private flats. This job also involves collaborating with student groups such as STAR, Mermaids, Charities and the Student Volunteering Service.

Photo: Green Week
Photo: Green Week

Association environment & ethics officer

Current position holder:  Alice Pickthall

Position description: E&E officer is an Association position, which means the officer sits on both SRC and SSC. In addition, the E&E officer is chair of the Environment & Ethics subcommittee and sits on the University’s Fairtrade committee and Sustainable Development Working Group.

The main things the E&E officer focuses on are Green Week, the inter-hall energy competition and helping hall environment reps with their duties, as well as working on broader Students’ Association and University sustainability policies.

Association Alumni officer

Current position holder: Charlotte Andrew

Position description: This is a new position, created by a motion put forward at the latest SRC meeting. They will be in charge of organising the newly created alumni festival and creating a stronger connection between students and alumni.

Association LGBT officer

Current position holder: Sigrid Jorgensen

Position description: The association LGBT officer sits on the SRC; the SRC’s equal opportunities subcommittee and the wellbeing committee; SSC; and run a subcommittee of the Union (Saints LGBT). The role has a wide variety of responsibilities such as being involved in campaigns, putting motions to the SRC – such as the previous motion to make bathroom policies more tolerant for trans* students – and organising and running events with the LGBT committee such as Glitterball.

SRC accommodation officer

Current position holder:  Alexandre Ciric

Position description: It is as far reaching and as wide as you want to make it. The accommodation officer helps to produce a ‘How to Rent Guide’ and attends certain meetings, but it’s really up to you in terms of what you take on.

Andrew Melville
Photo: Andrew Melville Hall

SRC employability officer

Current position holder: Nils Turner

Position description: The SRC employability officer works closely with the DoSDA and the careers centre and will primarily work to represent student opinion on services and support relating to employability and career skills.

SRC equal opportunities officer

Current position holder: Omar Ali

Position description: This role mainly entails administering and chairing committees (members for gender equality, racial equality, disabilities, mature students, international students, LGBT officer and widening access and participation), assisting committee members with their projects, initiating projects promoting equality, diversity and student welfare, and working with the University, Student Services and other bodies promoting student welfare.

SRC wellbeing officer

Current position holder: Miriam Chappell

Position description: This role requires making sure that efforts are being taken and maintained to support student well-being. Furthermore, this position requires engagement with other mental health working groups in St Andrews such as Nightline and Student Minds to help coordinate and support their various events and campaigns.

SRC member for students with disabilities

Current position holder: Kate Mayer

Position description: They act as a bridge between students, the Students’ Association, the University, and people from the outside – people you seek advice from, people who help you to make things happen, and also employers who offer opportunities for students with disabilities.

SRC member for racial equality

Current position holder: Jackie Ashkin

Position description: The member for racial equality represents ethnic minorities and is responsible for making sure the University is inclusive.

SRC external campaigns officer

Current position holder: Toby Emerson

Position description: The external campaigns officer sits and votes on the SRC and is supposed to deal with all campaigns that extend past St Andrews. The officer is also the chair of the external campaigns subcommittee. In previous years the external campaigns officer has been responsible for organising anti-tuition fee protests and sending buses down to larger protests in Edinburgh and Liverpool.

SRC member for first years

Current position holder: Holly Johnston

Position description: The SRC member for first years is a role that is about helping students make the step-up to University life. This means being prepared to help anyone with any question they might have, no matter how obvious it might seem to someone who’s been here for a while.

SRC member for gender equality

Current position holder: Alice Lecointe

Position description:  The member for gender equality focuses on campaigns and advice to encourage equality. They also sit on the equal opportunities subcommittee within the Union.

passports

SRC member for international students

Current position holder: Adam Stromme

Position description: This member represents the international student community at the SRC. It is their responsibility to voice to the concerns and interests of our international student body, a third of our student population, by addressing issues such as immigration laws or accommodation rights.

SRC member for mature students

Current position holders: Aysha Marty

Position description: Represents the views of mature students, whose viewpoint can often be very different to those of students who came to university straight from school or college.

SRC member for widening access & participation

Current position holder: Maxwell Speirs

Position description: Working alongside the University on new initiatives to increase uptake of students from a wide range of backgrounds. Issues like affordable accommodation and outreach schools in the local area will be on the agenda.

Arts / divinity faculty president

Current position holder: Eleanor Mullin

Position description: The role of the arts and divinity faculty president entails representing the views and concerns of over half the student body through regular liaison with school presidents and the director of representation.

Science / medicine faculty president

Current position holder: Louise McCaul

Position description: The Science/medicine faculty president preforms a similar role to the arts/divinity faculty president.

Postgraduate convenor

Current position holder: Tania Strützel

Position description: Represents the views and concerns of the postgraduate community to the SRC.