Student run RAF Leuchars exhibition is set for take-off

0
Photo: Stevie Beats
Photo: Stevie Beats

A pair of St Andrews students have helped to set up an exhibition about the history of RAF Leuchars, looking back on its past in the aftermath of the air force squadrons relocating to Lossiemouth.

Lorna Weir and Tylar Napolitano, both studying the MLitt Museum and Galleries Studies course, have entitled their exhibition From Balloons to Typhoons – RAF Leuchars: Life on Base.

Running from 14 March until 17 May at the Gateway Gallery, a selection of objects from the air base will be on display, alongside donations from other museums.

Weir and Napolitano aim to provide an opportunity for the community and RAF families to celebrate their time in north east Fife, so the exhibition will be focussed on giving an insight into the people of RAF Leuchars.

Their stories will be explained to visitors, providing a personal account of life ‘behind the wire’. A coffee morning will take place at the Gateway on 21 February. This “Flight Down Memory Lane” event will be an opportunity for anyone to share memories or memorabilia of RAF Leuchars ahead of the exhibition’s official opening.

The highlight of the exhibition will be on 17 May, when a “Big Day Out” event will feature a 1940s theme to commemorate the anniversary of the Battle of Britain.