Places £9000 could take you besides to university

0
One years tuition or a week of luxury? Photo credit Wikimedia

It has been four years since university fees were raised to £9,000 for English students, and The Saint has decided to look into just how far that money could go if invested elsewhere. From the pursuit of luxury goods to the purchase of everyday items, we consider four things you could buy for the same cost as one year of higher education.

Although not at the top of the essentials list, you can buy a brand new car for only five pounds short of one year’s tuition. The newest three door Vauxhall Corsa is available from £8,995.

If you want something that will get you spotted for Concrete Catwalk, we recommend you flaunt a designer handbag from Louis Vuitton, which will leave you with £600 left over.

Alternatively, you could treat yourself to seven nights at one of the world’s most expensive and extravagant hotels. A panoramic one bedroom suite at the seven star Burj al Arab will set you back the whole £9,000, but it is worth it for the view, right?

Finally, how about something practical? The average weekly food bill for a family of four was estimated at approximately £100 in 2014. That means that one year’s tuition fee would pay for you and your flatmates’ weekly food shop for 90 weeks, which equates to just under two years worth of food.