The University’s IT department has recently been recognised with an award for its exceptionally high standards.

St Andrews has become the first university in the world to win an award of this calibre, receiving a four-star certification from the Service Desk Institute (SDI).

Founded in 1988, the SDI is a world leading organisation for the IT service and support industry. The Institute is dedicated to improving the knowledge and careers of help desk professionals, providing support and training.

St Andrews’ four-star rating was awarded following the end of a thorough two-and-a-half year auditing programme starting in May 2012. The IT team also won the ‘Best Small Service Desk’ award at last summer’s SDI annual conference and award ceremony. The IT Services department was assessed in a variety of different areas, including department management, procedures, resources, satisfaction, and performance results. Over the course of the programme, the University saw its audit scores significantly improve across all measured areas during each annual audit in December 2012, 2013, and 2014.

Pauline Brown, the University’s IT Business Relationship Manager, said: “The changes and enhancements we’ve put in place have been considerable and we’re absolutely delighted to achieve four stars. We know it’s been worthwhile because the overall feedback we receive from staff and students who use our service is excellent.”

Looking ahead, they aim to be a service which is “proactive, forward-thinking and provides the very best customer service,” Ms Brown added. Furthermore, the four star award will now allow the IT department to be classified as a business-led function.

SDI’s founder and Master Auditor, Howard Kendall, commented that it was “brilliant” for St Andrews to win such an award. “This success is well-deserved and has been driven by the focused management and service desk teams and through an ongoing programme of service improvements,” he said.

In particular, Mr Kendall highlighted the “excellent culture of collaboration” and “high level of customer engagement” in the St Andrews IT department. “We look forward to seeing the improvements continue and for this desk to lead the way in setting an exceptionally high standard for universities across the UK.”