ACHIK: student enterprise launch

0
Photo by: Danielle Golds

ACHIK is a student-run social enterprise based here in St Andrews. Started in 2014, ACHIK offers zero interest micro-credits to members of poor farming and mining communities within Guatemala and Bolivia in order to start up their own textile production businesses. By working with indigenous business owners directly, ACHIK committee aims to empower them by providing them with financial support, a business plan and resources so they can be personally responsible for lifting themselves and their families out of poverty. ACHIK buys back the beautiful high quality, hand-crafted textiles that they produce (ranging from purses to shawls all made from alpaca and cotton) in order to sell and connect the small business owners to a wider, international market that will appreciate the skill and quality of the products they create.

At the moment you can find ACHIK selling the goods at events such as Women for Women’s most recent Clothes Swap and with temporary pop-up shops at various locations around town planned for the near future (more details can be found on their facebook page). The ACHIK committee has great ambitions to see their stock sold in local shops within St Andrews but also further afield from Dundee to Glasgow within the next couple of months. As ACHIK “prides ourselves on connecting our business owners to a wider market”, the committee is extremely excited to announce their new venture into e-commerce with the launch of their official website and etsy store– enabling the group to sell their goods in the US and the UK.

Photo curtesy of Achik
Photo curtesy of Achik

In order to celebrate the expansion of ACHIK’s increasingly global platform for “ethical and beautiful ACHIK products”, ACHIK will be hosting a launch party. Join the team at One Golf Place on Tuesday 24 February from 8PM onwards for drinks and dancing. There will be a DJ that will be announced closer to the time, a signature ACHIK cocktail, and of course, ACHIK products on show.

Admission to the event is £3 for the evening and ticket sales and event details will be released in the days leading up to the event.