Medieval St Andrews app launched

0
Photo: Sergei Iryanov

Sir Sean Connery is the voice of a new mobile app for St Andrews. The medieval St Andrews app was officially launched at the University on Friday .

The app is an interactive way to find out about the history of the town. It takes you around twenty two key historical areas of the town including St Salvator’s Chapel, The West Port and the Cathedral.

Those who created the app hope that it will develop a new understanding of the buildings and areas of medieval St Andrews.

It allows users to interact with multimedia that layers medieval text with 3D digital reconstructions of the medieval buildings of the town. There is also an audio commentary which will be provided by Sir Sean Connery and other notable guest appearances, many of whom have received an honorary degree from the University.

The app brings together historical material and archaeological data from local and national bodies, as well as the University’s own achieved material .

Available for free since St Andrews day on Android, the app will be available in the Apple store by Christmas.

The app has been put together by academics working across the University, from computer science to classics. The project was led by Dr Katie Stevenson, senior lecturer of late medieval history. Dr Stevenson said, “What is particularly special about the app is that at its core is the work of St Andrews’ postgraduate students and post doctoral researchers.”