Top 5: St Andrews Style Stereotypes

0
Taste: The bonafide St Andrews hipster home Photo: Stephanie Irwin

1. Hipsters

Where can we find you?

Outside Taste, discussing folk music favourites and existential crisis book choices. In one hand, a cigarette is perched between your fingers, whilst the other nurses a coffee. You would not be seen dead in Starbucks.

What you wear:
Earthy, autumn-inspired tones are key. For outerwear, you sport a chunky knit scarf over a shearling coat. Underneath, you wear folk-patterned tea dresses, paired with brown ankle boots. If you’re not wearing a dress, your jeans are either a burgundy red or mustard yellow, worn to coordinate with small string bracelets hanging from your wrist. With this folk-inspired style, you would coordinate with a Mumford & Sons album cover.
2. Jocks/Gym Bunnies

Where can we find you?

The gym. Or sport practice bound. You constantly carry a water bottle – which you frequently swing. The benefits of quinoa are a central topic of conversation.

What you wear:

You only sport running leggings teamed with a pair of Nikes, which are either bright neon or a subtle monochrome. Overtop, you wear a puffy jacket or a Saints Sport anorak — a simple jumper is far from adequate. When you’re not at the gym, you’re still in trainers – for you, there is no better fashion statement.
3. Preppy

Where can we find you? 

In the Vic or Ma Bells on a Friday night (or any night). During the day, Starbucks and small cafés are your mainstay, perfect before IR and art history lectures.

What you wear:

You commonly sport the standard red trousers and tweed blazer, sometimes even together. If you’re an American boy, you wear a fleece over a button down shirt. To finish the look, jeans and a sports cap are worn – similar to the gym bunnies’ outfit. For both the English and Americans, black skinny jeans are a staple, especially with white converse or biker boots. For outerwear, the English are most likely to wear a Barbour, whereas North Face or Canada Goose jacket are commonly worn by Americans.

4. Science Majors

Where can we find you? 

Traipsing around North Haugh with gigantic textbooks, finding refuge in the Chemistry, Physics or the Medic cafés.

What you wear:

You rock the Leaver’s hoodie or an oversized jumper like it’s going out of style. Your chosen accessory is a pair of glasses whether you may actually need. Your jeans — which have survived multiple dissection labs —  are probably the most valuable garment you own.

5. Pinterest Addicts

Where can we find you? 

Amongst the charity shops, you are most likely searching for the latest addition to a new brooch or DIY belted scarf. You adore pastel colours and sometimes resemble a primary school teacher.

What you wear:

Whilst you don’t particularly mind mainstream shops, you’re keen to customise any way you can — whether its a cut hem or a folded sleeve. You’re keen to DIY, and love to tie scarves in strange ways, sometimes doubling them for belts.