Start-up success in only 52 hours

0

The inaugural Start-up St Andrews event took place earlier this month. Start-up is a 52 hour challenge, which has been described as Dragon’s Den meets The Apprentice.

Participants came from all over the UK to compete in the Gateway Building.

The weekend started with each individual participant pitching his or her own business idea to the group. The group then voted on the concept that they liked the best. The top concepts were adopted by teams, who then developed the idea for the remainder of the weekend. The group was split into teams through each individual member joining the concept which they most strongly identified with.

On the Sunday, the five teams pitched their business ideas to a panel of judges. The winning and runner-up teams were rewarded with a range of prizes including cash, tickets for entrepreneurship events, expert coaching sessions, vouchers for Balgove Larder and the opportunity to present their business to investors in the coming weeks.

‘St Andrews Collect’ was the winning team. Their business idea was to collect and recycle glass in St Andrews. The runner up team called “Nom” created a phone app which would simplify food shopping, reduce food waste and make healthy meal planning a simple task.

The founder of Startup St Andrews, Huw Bell, said: “We had five fantastic entries in our final ‘Dragons’ Den’ phase.

“The winning team, St Andrews Collect, came up with a great plan to collect and recycle glass in the town and potentially beyond. I look forward to seeing their business grow in the future.”