The St Andrews University Triathlon Club, in only its third year of existence, has been named the Scottish Triathlon Club of the Year.

There were many factors in determining the winners of the award with inclusivity of new members being one of the fundamentals. Membership in the club has doubled this year and this is indicative of the warm and friendly welcome that the new Tri-athletes are given.

That is not to say that the club is not competitive. They achieved a fourth place finish in the BUCS league and hold both the Scottish Student Sport Duathlon and Aquathlon titles.

Their own members’ interest is also a big part of the club’s incentives and they have established good relations with other university and local community clubs; sharing training sessions, coaching resources and volunteers for the events. The club are also flexible in offering opportunities to students with clustered university timetables.

Club captain and co-founder Mark Diamond upon receipt of the award said that “To win this award at the beginning of just our third year is an incredible achievement and one which we are hugely honoured by. Every member of the Club over the last two years has added so much value and their ambition and enthusiasm is the reason we have made it so far, so soon. Being awarded as Scottish Club of the Year is a great way of recognising these achievements.”

Mark went on, “I think I speak for everyone at the Club when I say that I am surprised that we have managed to win this award so early on in the Club’s lifetime. Whilst we have achieved a huge amount over the last two years, in essence we are only just getting started: our Duathlon last October had twice the number of entrants as our Triathlon last year; we are in talks with SSS to host the inaugural SSS Triathlon Championships next April and we have more members than ever before competing at the very top level in the sport. This award will only fuel the ambition of members and the committee at the Club.”

The recognition of the club has provided them with a huge boost and the hope is that in years to come they can continue to improve on their sterling work.