The St Andrews Day Celebrations will kick off at the end of the month, and will incorporate the switching-on of the town’s festive light displays on 30 November.

The lights will be unveiled at a number of new locations and the actual switch-on ceremony will take place in South Street from 2 pm until 7.30 pm.

The celebrations will be headlined by Scottish singer-songwriter Eddi Reader and her band, and will include music, dance, and a large ceilidh among other festivities.

The lights will be switched on at 5.45 pm and will stay on every evening until 5 January. This year, the St Andrews Partnership, which took over responsibility for the town’s lighting displays in 2013 from Fife Council, has increased the number of areas where lights will be put up.

The events of the actual St Andrews Day Celebrations start today (27 November) and take place for the rest of the weekend, commemorating the rich history of the town.

Jim McArthur, chairman of St Andrews Partnership, said: “We have for sometime felt that we needed to up the ante in terms of having a St Andrews day celebration in St Andrews – this year we’re trying to improve on what we’ve done in the past.”

Mr McArthur hopes for a turnout of several thousand and said that the celebrations will coordinate well with the food and drink festival which is going on this month and ends on the same day.

Rufflets Country House Hotel has been unveiled as the main sponsor of this year’s St Andrews festive lights display. In the past year, its guests have donated over £2,100 to the ‘Brighter St Andrews’ charitable fund. It was decided that this fund would to go towards the 2014 festive lights. Stephen Owen, the Rufflets General Manager, handed over a cheque to Mr McArthur in an official ceremony at the hotel.

The St Andrews festive lights are also being supported by Fife Council, StayinStAndrews, St Andrews Links Trust and donations from private individuals and businesses. Further donations can be made via the website.