Saints volleyball top Scots in BUCS North

0

BUCS Premier League North: Women’s 1st 3-2 Edinburgh.

After taking on Durham, Northumbria and Glasgow within one busy week, our women’s 1st had a few days to take a breath and prepare for their home game against Edinburgh on Wednesday. This game was the final game of the first part of the Premier League season. After losing to BUCS and National League champions Durham and Northumbria the aim was to even out the record and add to the win over Glasgow. 

The Saints had a good start into the game against long-time rival Edinburgh and managed to carry a 4-point difference through to take the first set with 25:21 . Remarkably, this was possible despite a vast number of unforced service errors on our side. 

In the second set, the Saints managed to cut down on unforced errors, with strong hitting and courageous defense the ladies came out on top with 25:19. Two sets up, the team felt too secure and their performance dropped considerably while Edinburgh build upon our faults. The opponent took the set with a wide margin of 25:12.

The fourth set was better but the Saints had not yet recovered from their breakdown. Strong serves from Edinburgh and a weak serve reception led to the Saints giving up the set 18:25. Just in time for the final set the saints had woken up again. From the first point, determination in hitting, defense and serving secured a healthy margin and the deciding tie break was won with 15:6.

After the first round of games St Andrews has consolidated their third place in the Premier League North as top Scottish team. Defending champions Durham will travel up to St Andrews for their final game of the semester on 26 November.