The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are to be the guests of honour at a special Gala Benefit Dinner in New York later this year, organised by the University as part of the 600th Anniversary Celebrations.

This will be the Royal couple’s first official visit to the USA.

The event will take place at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on Tuesday 9 December 2014. A VIP table for 10 will set guests back $100,000 (£64,000). 450 people are expected to attend.

Both are alumni of the University and graduated in 2005. The Duke is a patron of the University’s Anniversary Fundraising Campaign, which he launched in 2011 while on a visit to the University with his wife.

Funds raised at the event will support student scholarships and bursaries, new student sports facilities in St Andrews, new investment in the University’s medical and scientific faculties and a lectureship in American Literature at St Andrews, according to the University website.

The website goes on to say that that despite being 600 years old, the University has a very small endowment and aims to raise £100 million in an “ambitious fundraising drive.” The statement also said that “over £13 million is being sought to support bright students who would otherwise be unable to attend university.”

Guests at the benefit will comprise alumni, students, staff and supporters of the University.

With the dinner taking place in New York, the University website describes the “close and historical relationship with the United States ” that St Andrews has, with 20 per cent of the current student body being American.

The couple will be met on the steps of the Met by an honour guard of fellow St Andrews alumni wearing the University’s traditional red gowns before attending a dinner in the museum’s Temple of Dendur.

The evening will finish with a charity auction with lots donated by many prominent individuals such as Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Ann Gloag and Ian Rankin.