With the nights drawing in and a chill like no other pervading the air, you may be feeling a little glum. Christmas seems so far away and summer has long since vanished. However, fear not my fellow students, it’s not all doom and gloom because with the arrival of November, ball season is officially upon us.

Nobel Ball always been one of the highlights of ball season. As we have seen from their Crayfish party held around a month ago, the Scandinavian Society knows how to make sure that everyone has a good time – and they should do considering they’ve been hosting events like these since their beginnings in 2004.

The Saint met up with event organisers, Jacob Ludvik Hallén Øen and Sebastian Öhrn, to find out more about what we can expect from the Scando Soc’s upcoming event.

Unsurprisingly, Nobel Ball was created by the Scandinavian Society in honour of Alfred Nobel, best known as the inventor of dynamite and creator of the Nobel Prize given out in recognition of scientific and cultural advances. As he was an important Scandinavian figure, it makes sense for the Scandinavian Society to be hosting a ball in his honour.

This year, the event will be hosted at the Scores Hotel, making for a pleasant change from the over-used and uninspiring Kinkell Byre. The evening is set to begin with a reception, followed by a three-course dinner and finally, end with the ball. Each guest will be provided with plenty of alcohol, and a hearty helping of aquavit (a type of spirit specially produced in Scandinavian countries since the 15th Century – sounds yummy…) to get themselves into the party mood.

While this year Nobel Ball lacks a sponsor, which may explain the ticket price increase from £49 for non-members last year to a £55 this year, the money spent on the ticket does go entirely to the event. This means you will actually get your money’s worth out of the event; an exciting prospect for the numerous attendees.

Jacob Ludvik Hallén Øen added:

“The expectations are always very high, and we always try to exceed.”

The ball will host two acts. While the main act is still a secret, we know he will be playing lots of ABBA, one of my favourite Swedish exports. Additionally, there will a dance act by Arvid de Geer. His act will be “unique”, somewhat “perverted,” (largely influenced by Swedish techno, and is promised to be an “experience”.

The dress code is black tie formal and girls are encouraged to wear long dresses. This event is one of utter extravagance so my advice to guests is: do not afraid to go all out. Meanwhile, guys should show up wearing traditional black-tie. You can never go wrong with a good old fashioned suit after all.

The Scandinavian Society always promises to deliver, and we are certain that Nobel ball will be filled with lots of alcohol, be fun, be crazy, and be different from any other event at St Andrews.

In the words of Zelatan Ibrahimovich (and Otto von Bismarck): “This is not a night to be missed.”

Skål!