After a tough loss against Glasgow the Men’s Volleyball took on Aberdeen at home last Sunday.

The Saints started the first set in strong fashion with solid play and impressive serving, scoring points and forcing Aberdeen to make errors, displaying some of the best play so far this season. Aberdeen never recovered and the Saints took the set comfortably 25-13.

Aberdeen cleaned up their act for the second set, eliminating the errors of their previous set and made the Saints fight for every point. This time it was the St Andrews’ boys play that suffered giving Aberdeen some easy points. The set remained close however, at the critical moment of 23-23 a tactical time-out by Aberdeen resulted in a serving error that stopped the Saints late-game momentum and tipped the scales in their favour. The set was lost 24-26.

The second set had revitalised Aberdeen, who were now playing at a completely different level than they had for the first set, getting in good hits, utilising their blocking capabilities and continuing to disrupt play by use of tactical time-outs. The Saints made life difficult for themselves at the start of the set with some sloppy passing. The set remained close however and we managed to adjust our play to the block, and our middles got in some solid hits towards the end of the set, putting the pressure back on Aberdeen. In turn Aberdeen’s middles made some unforced errors, giving us a late-game advantage. The Saints drove momentum home and took the third set 25-20.

Aberdeen brought more impressive blocking in the fourth set winning them several points. Solid defensive play from our back row as well as good blocking effectively halted Aberdeen’s attacks, leaving the fate of the match in the Saints’ hands. Ultimately the Saints’ attack won over Aberdeen’s block and the match was won 3-1 (4th set 25-22). A satisfying end to one of the strongest performances of the team so far, taking 2nd place from Aberdeen in the League.

The Saints now prepare to take on RGU away this weekend.