The marking boycott has been suspended, putting an end to the disruption to student feedback for the time being.

Following negotiations yesterday, the University and College Union (UCU) and Universities UK (UUK) have agreed to suspend the industrial action over a pensions dispute until after a negotiation meeting scheduled for Thursday 15 January 2015.

In a joint statement, UCU and UUK said: “UCU and UUK have agreed to a series of negotiating meetings between now and the scheduled January JNC [joint negotiating committee]. It is hoped that this period can be used to close the differences between the negotiating positions, with a view to reaching agreement on reforms to the USS scheme.

“Both parties are committed to seeking a joint proposal for reform that offers an affordable, sustainable and attractive pension scheme, for both current and future members. Both parties are pleased that the agreement to suspend industrial action at this early stage will mean that students will not have been adversely affected and members of staff will not have had pay deducted.”

The boycott began at the beginning of this month, as a protest against changes to the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS). The changes were made in response to a expected deficit in the USS, however many academics believe that the proposed changes are unfair and would severely diminish their pensions.