Investment for a greener Bubble

0

A major investment of £148,000 has been made by the Scottish Government with the aim of making St Andrews a more environmentally friendly town.

The money has been put towards the ‘St Andrews Towards Transition’ scheme, involving students, community members and University representatives alike, whose aim is to cut down on 300 tonnes of CO2 a year.

The St Andrews project is among 21 to share nearly £2 million distributed in the latest round of Climate Challenge Fund awards.

The funding is set to contribute to an array of projects, such as a ‘grow your own’ food co-op, neighbourhood and home energy advice sessions and a local bike maintenance and hire program.

This incentive ties in with wider efforts tackling climate change throughout the town, in particular the University whose Interhall Energy Competition is running for another successful year.

The environment and climate change minister, Paul Wheelhouse, who has recognised the town’s ‘green’ commitments, said: “I am delighted that the people of St Andrews have elected to take voluntary action to address the impacts and causes of climate change within their local area. This demonstrates a strength and commitment to tackle climate change, because it is real and because it matters to ordinary people.”