Honourary degree recipients announced for St Andrew’s day graduation

0
Photo: Remi Mathis

The names of those who will receive honorary degrees from the University in the annual St Andrew’s Day  Graduation have been announced.

The recipients this year  include one of the founders of Scotland’s Violence Reduction Unit, John Carnochan.  Also being awarded is the award winning theatre set designer, Bunny Christie, who was the first woman to win the Olivier award for set design. Professor Anne Carson, a renowned translator and professor of classics, and the former principle of the Royal Conservatoire Professor John Wallace will also be awarded.

The St Andrew’s Day Graduation will take place in Younger Hall on Monday the first of December, 2014. Students will receive their awards alongside the honorary graduates.

One of the University’s longest serving cleaners, Catherine Robertson, will also be recognised during the ceremony when she receives a prestigious University Medal. Mrs Robertson worked as a cleaner at the University for thirty eight years.

Helen Mackie, Assistant Director of Estates, said: “I am delighted that Cathie is the first member of Estates to receive the University Medal as it recognises the work and dedication that is provided by a number of ‘unsung heroes’ within our team.”