A Cappella Christmas Concert in Review: St Andrews’ Best Take the Stage

0

The atmosphere in the Younger Hall on Wednesday evening was one of excitement and festive chatter in anticipation of the St Andrews A Cappella Society’s Christmas Concert. Prepared for an evening of cheer and merriment, the audience was not disappointed.

With six very different acts, performances highlights included a strip-tease act from the Scrooge, faux-snowfall, brilliant choreography, plenty of gorgeous harmonies – not to mention the brilliant compere, who kept us excited from the start with a light-up Christmas jumper. The range of songs consisted of a mix between popular hits such as ‘All About That Bass’ and ‘Stay With Me’, as well as some classic Christmas hits, many with brilliant a cappella twists.

Christmas was definitely the main theme of the evening, with the groups performing in festive outfits ranging from simple but fun Santa hats, to horrendous Christmas jumpers to full on body decoration, which included lights and tinsel. The festive suiting definitely helped to get everyone into the Christmas spirit.

Each group had at least one Christmas tune in their repertoire, which started off with ‘Carol of the Bells’ from the Vocal Bandits, which was accompanied by some questionable swaying.  Other ensembles such as The Accidentals’ Christmas hit mash-up, which included classic hits such as ‘Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas’ and ‘Frosty the Snowman’, and The Other Guys’ favourite – ‘Christmas Gets Worse Every Year’ also helped to put the audience in that pre-Christmas mood. But the surprise of the night came in the finale to The Alleycats’ set, when a very well-dressed Scrooge stripped off in the middle of their Christmas song to reveal a skimpy Santa-skirt…which didn’t leave much to the imagination! Other stellar pieces included a beautiful version of ‘Silent Night’ by The Hummingbirds, as well as more Christmas classics like ‘Joy To The World’ from The Bells, whom stuck to a more traditional selection of songs.

In short, the evening was a definite success, and proved more than worth the mere six pounds for a ticket. There was something for everyone in the combination of sass, fun, emotion and spirit produced by the brilliant harmonies and music produced by the St Andrews A Capella groups.