YMA take spoils in 6-a-side

0

On 21 September the Football Club hosted their annual six-a-side football tournament in glorious sunshine at the Athletic Union. The event had a good turnout with almost 80 people – 10 teams in total – turning up to contest for the first prize of a meal at Rascals bar with the second and third place teams earning an alcoholic reward.

There was most definitely a variety of quality on display as teams varied from mainly University footballers to a complete mix-and-match of mildly sporty friends. That said, all the teams were very competitive and the only team to go out in the group stage – a result of there being three groups one unlucky team had to be ditched so that a loser’s plate and the real knockout stages of the tournament could go ahead – only lost out on goal difference.

The eventual winners, Your Mum’s Athletic, however were definitely the best team as they started the day in fine fettle with a 5-0 victory and never looked back as they brushed all aside, including the aforementioned footballer’s team.

Complete with a barbecue and the odd moment of brilliance, the day was successful as non-footballers wandered down to appreciate the food and sunshine, as well as the sport.

Many of the participants embraced the social aspect of the competition and headed to Rascals for the prize-giving and the chance to watch some truly high quality football.

The event definitely got a thumbsup from all involved including a member of Sports Friends – the last placed team – who said that “it was great fun, even if the quality of football left something to be desired.”

Many echoed that sentiment and will be hoping for a repeat success in twelve months time.