The key is gaining the reader’s trust: An evening with Julian Barnes

The blossoming collaboration of the Booker Foundation and St Andrews University continued last week with the visit of author Julian Barnes

October 2, 2014 7:00 am 0 comments

The blossoming collaboration of the Booker Foundation and St Andrews University continued last week with the visit of author Julian Barnes. This year’s novel, The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes, winner of the Booker Prize in 2011, marks the sixth year of the burgeoning tradition. Every year, incoming freshers receive a copy of a chosen prize-winning book; previous books have included Mohsin Hamid’s The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2009), A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry (2012) and last year the critically acclaimed Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The chosen book’s distribution always culminates in the author’s visit and staged talk in the first few months of the academic year.

Never had the rows of Buchanan lecture theatre been so full of such alert people as they were on the 23rd September, when Barnes arrived on the stage. As the excited new students clutched undented copies of the book, and the reserved rows at the front steadily filled up with professors, charcoal grey suits and hair, a sudden hush descended upon the room. The principal Louise Richardson took the floor to begin the evening, welcoming Barnes, and explaining her hope that distributing books to new students would allow them to all have something to talk about, despite their varied backgrounds, thus bringing everyone together, as well as encouraging the spread of new ideas.

She detailed the plot briefly. The Sense of an Ending begins at a school, with the narrator Tony recalling his clique’s meeting and friendship with new boy Adrian Finn, a quiet, intelligent teenager who impresses everyone with his philosophical reasoning. Vowing to remain friends for life, everything nevertheless changes when they all go their separate ways for university. After the unexpected happens in the form of a suicide, the group try to move on, but later in life, with the arrival of a lawyer’s letter disclosing a surprising revelation, Tony is forced to confront again all that happened. Through the book Barnes contemplatively explores the nature of time, memory and remorse, and the interplay of these themes.

During his talk, Julian Barnes’s quiet and intellectual voice – not unlike his character of Adrian Finn, held the listeners in suspense, eliciting the odd chuckle as he strayed into the strange conversational realms of humorous chicken strangling, false memories of childhood and the old typewriter that he still writes his books on. He explained that for him, a writer must gain completely the trust of their reader. Feeling from the very first page as if they are in safe hands, ready to be taken on a convincing journey, a complicity between writer and reader can therefore develop. It is this, according to Barnes, which puts the reader and writer on the same level and makes the book truly readable, something which he hopes to have achieved.

Critics have suggested that he has indeed achieved this and much more. Peter Kemp of the Sunday Times called the novel ‘a harsh tale rich in humane resonances,’ whilst Toby Clements of The Daily Telegraph described it as ‘a work of rare and dazzling genius.’ Shortlisted for the Booker Prize three times previously, for Flaubert’s Parrot in 1984, England, England in 1998 and Arthur & George in 2005, The Sense of an Ending marked the first time Barnes actually won the prize. The book was also nominated in the Best Novel category in the 2011 Costa Book Awards.

One of Barnes’s closing remarks contained advice for budding writers. Every writer needs to be a good reader, he specified, and must love both language and stories. But the originality is more mysterious, and comes from within.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Taylor Swift versus The Rest of the World: Is all this bad blood really necessary?

Taylor Swift versus The Rest of the World: Is all this bad blood really necessary?

Take yourself back to the 14th of February this year – the day Kanye West released his new album, The Life of Pablo, which included the song Famous and the lyrics, “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex/ Why? I made that b*tch famous.” An online frenzy ensued over the controversial...

Read more →
  • Good luck shaking this one off, Tay Tay

Good luck shaking this one off, Tay Tay

April 2016: International superstar Taylor Swift gives Vogue a tour of her Los Angeles mansion. “What do you think is the most important life lesson for someone to learn?” inquires the reporter. Swift replies sagely that “karma is real.”  Three months later, as a decade’s worth of...

Read more →
  • Roll the Dyce: why Allardyce is perfect for England

Roll the Dyce: why Allardyce is perfect for England

Sam Allardyce At 3:45 yesterday afternoon, Sam Allardyce was appointed as the new England manager on a two-year deal. His brief is simple: pick up an England team fresh off their round of 16 elimination by Iceland in the recent European Championship and restore public faith in the team that is seen by...

Read more →
  • Spirited summer trends

Spirited summer trends

As the summer heat rises, summer style flourishes. Three distinct warm weather trends absolutely scream holiday. Flora and fauna prints, reminiscent of radiant, tropical islands and lush forests, bring energy to the season. Such prints feature brilliantly coloured dragon fruit and calming hues of melon....

Read more →
  • Wimbledon 2016 review: an island of stability in a sea of uncertainty

Wimbledon 2016 review: an island of stability in a sea of uncertainty

In times of uncertainty, there is often a profound human yearning for normality and routine. Many in the UK, confounded by what has happened over the last month and apprehensive of what will happen in the future, have sought refuge in Wimbledon, a solid rock amidst a sea of confusion. Much like Narnia,...

Read more →