The key is gaining the reader’s trust: An evening with Julian Barnes

The blossoming collaboration of the Booker Foundation and St Andrews University continued last week with the visit of author Julian Barnes

October 2, 2014 7:00 am 0 comments

The blossoming collaboration of the Booker Foundation and St Andrews University continued last week with the visit of author Julian Barnes. This year’s novel, The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes, winner of the Booker Prize in 2011, marks the sixth year of the burgeoning tradition. Every year, incoming freshers receive a copy of a chosen prize-winning book; previous books have included Mohsin Hamid’s The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2009), A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry (2012) and last year the critically acclaimed Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The chosen book’s distribution always culminates in the author’s visit and staged talk in the first few months of the academic year.

Never had the rows of Buchanan lecture theatre been so full of such alert people as they were on the 23rd September, when Barnes arrived on the stage. As the excited new students clutched undented copies of the book, and the reserved rows at the front steadily filled up with professors, charcoal grey suits and hair, a sudden hush descended upon the room. The principal Louise Richardson took the floor to begin the evening, welcoming Barnes, and explaining her hope that distributing books to new students would allow them to all have something to talk about, despite their varied backgrounds, thus bringing everyone together, as well as encouraging the spread of new ideas.

She detailed the plot briefly. The Sense of an Ending begins at a school, with the narrator Tony recalling his clique’s meeting and friendship with new boy Adrian Finn, a quiet, intelligent teenager who impresses everyone with his philosophical reasoning. Vowing to remain friends for life, everything nevertheless changes when they all go their separate ways for university. After the unexpected happens in the form of a suicide, the group try to move on, but later in life, with the arrival of a lawyer’s letter disclosing a surprising revelation, Tony is forced to confront again all that happened. Through the book Barnes contemplatively explores the nature of time, memory and remorse, and the interplay of these themes.

During his talk, Julian Barnes’s quiet and intellectual voice – not unlike his character of Adrian Finn, held the listeners in suspense, eliciting the odd chuckle as he strayed into the strange conversational realms of humorous chicken strangling, false memories of childhood and the old typewriter that he still writes his books on. He explained that for him, a writer must gain completely the trust of their reader. Feeling from the very first page as if they are in safe hands, ready to be taken on a convincing journey, a complicity between writer and reader can therefore develop. It is this, according to Barnes, which puts the reader and writer on the same level and makes the book truly readable, something which he hopes to have achieved.

Critics have suggested that he has indeed achieved this and much more. Peter Kemp of the Sunday Times called the novel ‘a harsh tale rich in humane resonances,’ whilst Toby Clements of The Daily Telegraph described it as ‘a work of rare and dazzling genius.’ Shortlisted for the Booker Prize three times previously, for Flaubert’s Parrot in 1984, England, England in 1998 and Arthur & George in 2005, The Sense of an Ending marked the first time Barnes actually won the prize. The book was also nominated in the Best Novel category in the 2011 Costa Book Awards.

One of Barnes’s closing remarks contained advice for budding writers. Every writer needs to be a good reader, he specified, and must love both language and stories. But the originality is more mysterious, and comes from within.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

With an explosion of mischief and mayhem that absolutely dazzles, the wizarding world we know and love is back. Taking us across to New York and back in time to the Roaring Twenties, Rowling, with her own screenplay, shows us the realm of Harry Potter like we’ve never seen it before – but with...

Read more →
  • Review: Label: My Body

Review: Label: My Body

Image: Label Inspired by The Vagina Monologues, Label brought us a new event in the Label calendar – My Body, which explored our relationship with our bodies, sexuality and love. The subjects were diverse, but were united under the umbrella of Label’s mission of experience-exploration and its...

Read more →
  • Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Photo: Ian Cameron Students from across Scotland gathered in Dundee last Saturday to compete in an inter-university Taekwon-do competition hosted by St Andrews instructors. This competition had representatives from the Universities of St Andrews, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, and what we like to call...

Read more →
  • A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

Photo: Saints Rugby Leaving home is never easy. The University of St Andrews Men’s Rugby team learned that the hard way last season, facing arduous trips to Nottingham, Worcester, Loughborough and Birmingham. Those trips took their toll on the players and they were unable to really make a fist of the...

Read more →
  • Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

The Mermaid’s annual Christmas Ball put its best foot forward, and so did the guests, but in a bit of a more literal sense. Unlike themes of the past few years, such as Harry Potter, Narnia, and Willy Wonka, this years was a bit more Christmas geared; featuring The Nightmare Before Christmas. The committee...

Read more →