With Freshers’ and the first weeks of University chaos coming to an end, St Andrews nightlife is returning to its usual quiet self. With the end of introductory pub crawls, sports team inductions and Freshers’ flu, St Andrews is winding down before the beginning of the Formals season. Come October, the town is host to a variety of balls, ranging from Black Tie galas to animal themed formals.

The Kate Kennedy Club (KKC), one of the oldest and most notorious social clubs in Scotland, kicks off the season once again with the Opening Ball. The Saint spoke with the KKC this past week to get the inside details from the club’s Ball Conveners, Cyrus Danesh and Yousra Elbagir.

When discussing what keen first years can expect from their first balls, the KKC was more than happy to play the role of ushering in new Bejants and exposing them to the Ball Season.

“Opening Ball has all the classic features of a sophisticated black-tie event”, but with the KKC twist, “by the end of the night most girls have ditched their heels and most guys have lost their bow ties. It’s the ideal introduction to black tie events in St Andrews”.

Following the free flowing champagne reception and jazz music that fills the Lower College Lawn venue, attendees “can expect a great variety of entertainment through-out the night including breakthrough acts from across the UK. Basically, it’s going to be an awesome night.”

A proper St Andrews ball wouldn’t be complete without a killer lineup, with past headliners such as Craig Wilson and A-C-B finding their way to St Andrews. What musical acts will be gracing the university on 4 October?

“I’m excited to announce that taking the stage at this year’s Opening Ball will be The Fabulous Hurricanes who have supported the likes of Bombay Bicycle Club and will bring an old-school rock ‘n’ roll and contemporary rhythm & blues vibe to the event which will get everyone dancing, and Seedy Soundsystem – an awesome group comprised of a DJ, drummer and saxophonist – who are joining us straight off the back of having finished their 21 date UK tour.”

On top of the international crowd, the KKC has provided a breadth of acts, featuring one of St Andrews’ very own, as we will find on the main stage “a DJ tent where guests can expect dynamic, energetic sets from upcoming DJs Joe Jones and Asquire”.

Danesh felt it important not to forget the Charity that the KKC supports and benefits through Opening Ball:

“As well as all the fun, Opening Ball is amazing because it helps The Kate Kennedy Club raise significant donations for our chosen charities. The Club is proud to announce that the proceeds of this year’s Opening Ball will be going to Home-Start, and Unite Against Cancer, a new cancer charity set up to fund research into cancer treatments”.

And what makes Opening Ball so special?

“It is largely aimed at First Year students, most of whom have never experienced black-tie events at university or on this level before. Opening Ball signifies the start of what should be four extremely fun years for students at St Andrews and is a unique opportunity for freshers to celebrate starting university with pretty much their entire year.”

With the promise of awesome sounds and a killer atmosphere, The Saint still had one pressing question; what can we munch on in-between champagne and the queues for the bars? The evening wouldn’t be complete without ball favourites Jannetta’s, The Buffalo Food Truck and Butlers.

The champagne will be uncorked and bubbles will flow starting at 8 pm, so don’t be late!