FFALL: the new festival on the block

0

That St Andrews already plays host to a plethora of music festival-esque events is a certainty, yet the newest such event in town, the Festival For all (FFALL) must, by its very nature, be one to watch.

Offering a refreshing new spin to the festival genre, FFALL promises to showcase not just the professional but the amateur, given that student acts will also be receiving stage time.

With a ticket price of just ₤10 for 12 hours of continuous musical and artistic entertainment, there is a definite sense that the organisers want to make the vibrant student arts scene more accessible to the wider student populace.

The event itself, running from 2 pm to 2 am on 25 October, is split between two stages. The first, situated at All Saint’s Church on North Castle Street, will be run by Music is Love. The event will open with student musicians until 4pm, after which festival-goers will be treated to professional acts until 6 pm.

As a sort of segue from the two stages, Sunshine Social will be playing both stages – the first performance an acoustic version of the latter, to be performed later in Venue 1.

At this second stage, more of an emphasis is given to the professional side of the festival, with acts from across the UK performing, including what could be said to be the headline act, Morrt.

FFALL co-founder Austin Bell tells The Saint that the evening has been structured to allow a progression, not just in terms of the size of the act but in terms of style, meaning the night will – if all goes to plan! – close to the very danceable set by Morrt.

Other acts in the line-up include Scottish indie rock artist Withered Hand, and alternative indie rock band The Winter Tradition.

At this point it is definitely safe to say that there will be a lot going on over the course of the festival, yet even for the most die-hard music aficionado, 12 hours is a long time for one event to run – even for a Saturday.

This raises questions as to whether, like previous festival events in town, attendance would fluctuate and build over the course of the day, meaning that the earlier student acts would have less of an audience.

Co-founder, Bell, reassured The Saint on this issue, saying: “We’ve included art installations alongside the music at every stage, because that gives a certain level of interactivity, so despite the fact you might not like whatever band is on […] there’s a chance for you to go off and explore what the societies have to offer.”

I can’t deny that I’m intrigued at his hinting that, unlike at other festivals to grace St Andrews, there will be a plethora of content other than the musical acts to keep the audience engaged.

One of the most exciting aspects of the festival is simply the number of the artistic and musical societies from around town that are involved – societies that would not otherwise be able to access the Union because of budgetary and procedural constraints. It seems that FFALL promises to deliver a wide range of content that the general student body might not otherwise be exposed to.

With a ticket price of only a tenner, it would be hard not to recommend this event – such a low price for such a varied range of content means that it will almost certainly be worth the money.

Plus it’s always great to be exposed to different musical genres and artistic styles.

Tickets are still on sale outside the Library, and online at the Union website, with some tickets withheld to be sold on the doors on the day of the event for those who’ve not had a chance to purchase their entry.

So what are you waiting for? Get your tickets now for the inaugural Festival For All!