Album Review in Brief: Lacuna

0
Childhood performed at festivals over the UK this year Credit: Wikimedia Commons

The summer may be over but it is not quite too late to discover this hazy, lo-fi gem from South London-via-Nottingham four-piece Childhood. Bursting their way forward after Ben Romans-Hopcraft and Leo Dobsen released their first demos when at university in Nottingham, the release of first single ‘Blue Velvet’ in 2012 has led quickly to the release of their album in August this year. ‘Blue Velvet’ retains its place as the cornerstone of Childhood’s back catalogue, opening the album with aplomb and setting the tone for the entire piece. Melancholic, uplifting, and dreamlike in equal measure, it bounces along on deft guitar lines and soulful vocals, and the rest of the album follows suit. Each song well formed yet still sounding youthful and raw, Lacuna is an exercise in pure escapism, with other highlights including the soaring ‘Solemn Skies’ , the romantic and wistful yearning of ‘Right Beneath Me’ and the scuzzier ‘When You Rise’. The latter is an almost TOY-esque low-slung and prowling riff and beat from rhythm section yet the Childhood whimsy remains intact in the lead section. Childhood are carving themselves out their own corner in the burgeoning psyche scene, softer than Temples yet not as strange nor bombastic as Tame Impala, Lacuna is a piece of sun-soaked, pillowy perfection.

8/10