The autumn is here and with it a myriad of new art exhibitions all over Scotland. Here are some of the highlights of the season that are only a bus ride away in Edinburgh and Dundee.

John Byrne – Sitting Ducks
Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh/14th June-19th October
John Byrne is one of Scotland’s most versatile and accomplished artists and writiers. This exhibition will explore and celebrate his portraiture and includes drawings, paintings and multi-media works. Sitters include Tilda Swinton and Billy Connolly.

GENERATION: 25 Years of Contemporary Art in Scotland
Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art/28th June-25th January
GENERATION displays an extensive range of work from 1990 to 2014 by seven artists including Charles Avery, Kate Davis, Lucy McKenzie, Jonathan Owen, and Alison Watt. The exhibition aims to sho how aritists use different media in their work and will include room-sized installations by Ross Sinclair, Grahamm Fagen and Torstein Lauschmann. Best of all the exhibition is free.

American Impressionism – A New Vision
Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art/ 19th July − 19th October 2014
This exhibition divided into four groups covers the discovery of impressionism by American artists in the late 19th century. It will include the works of Mary Cassatt, John Singer Sargent and James McNeill Whistler. These artists lived in Paris and were close friends with French impressionists.

The exhibition will also include works of impressionists working in the USA including William Merritt Chase, Childe Hassam, Theodore Robinson and ‘The Ten.’

Jeepers Creepers: The works of Eduardo Paolozzi from Dundee Collections
The McManus: Dundee’s Art Gallery and Museum/13 September-2. November
The McManus is currently exhibiting a selection of work by the Scottish artist Eduardo Paolozzi. The gallery decided to create the exhibition following repeated requests to see Paolozzi’s Ettso. Paolozzi’s major work Jeepers Creepers, which the artist gave to the city in 1972, will also be on display. These sculptures will by augmented by prints by the artist, thereby bringing all of Paolozzi’s works in Dundee collections together for the first time. The exhibition is free.

First Sight – Recent Acquisitions of Prints and Drawings
Scottish National Gallery/14th June- 12th October
First Sight, as the title suggests, showcases some of the recent additions to the Scottish National Gallery’s collection of drawings, watercolours and prints. It is a diverse selection of around 30 works, acquired over the last five years. The collection includes the work of Manet and Cezanne, as well as JMW Turener’s Rome from Monte Mario, and etchings by Rembrandt, Goya and Jean-Francois Millet. The exhibition is free.