The Saint’s independence referendum survey results

0

An online survey aimed at St Andrews students and carried out by The Saint found that 56 per cent of respondents said they intend to vote No in the Scottish independence referendum today.

22 per cent of respondents said they intend to vote Yes, 17 per cent do not intend to vote, and five per cent remain undecided.

When excluding those who said they did not intend to vote or were undecided, the results were 72.2 per cent No against 27.8 per cent Yes.

The survey, which was not scientific, was conducted on The Saint’s website and compiled the views of 171 self-selecting participants. A wide range of ages, subjects and nationalities were represented.

Taking UK students alone, 71 per cent of respondents indicated that they would be voting No. 24 per cent said they would vote Yes, while two and three per cent chose not to vote and were undecided respectively.

Voters from outside the UK more commonly said they would not be voting, with 52 per cent choosing that option. 23 per cent of these international students said they would vote No, and 17 per cent intend to vote Yes. Eight per cent were undecided.

Looking at Scottish and English respondents, 65 per cent of Scots said they intend to vote No versus 63 per cent of English students. 33 per cent of Scots said they had decided to vote Yes, similar to 32 per cent of English respondents. Undecided voters stood at three per cent for Scotland and two per cent for England, with another two per cent of English respondents not intending to vote.

Significantly, no Scottish respondents said that they did not intend to vote.

Breaking down the results by gender, no male voters were undecided versus 18 per cent of women. The Yes and No divide for men fell at 23 per cent and 61 per cent respectively. For women the figures were 54 per cent No and 21 per cent Yes.

Nationally, the polls have narrowed as the referendum has drawn closer, with many now saying the result is too close to call. This follows a gradual slide in favour of the Yes campaign. As many as 97 per cent of eligible voters across Scotland have registered for a polling card, and turnout is estimated to be as high as 80 per cent. The first results are expected around 2 am on Friday morning, with the total declared by 6 am.