With a brand new committee and a host of fresh new ideas, the St Andrews Polo Club is gearing up for a massive year ahead. Trips to Argentina, winter and summer nationals in England, and plenty of socialising all lie in wait.

The St Andrews Polo Club has had a big presence in the town and on the sports scene for many years despite being relatively small. It is a friendly club, offering opportunities to players of all abilities: from complete beginner to those who compete nationally.

With new people in charge this year, there are plenty of exciting ideas in the pipeline. A trip to Argentina in January is planned, and there are talks of one to South Africa in the near future. For freshers, there was a very well attended give-it-a-go session last week that provided a gentle introduction to what is a very difficult sport. The resident wooden horse, Manno, is key to prepping new players.

Despite the exclusive and elite connotations attached to polo, the club prides itself on maintaining the tradition and styles of the game while always welcoming any potential interest in the sport from those keen to give it a shot. And that is exactly what’s needed: a sport that can be appreciated both from the ground and while in the saddle with stick in hand.

If you’re interested in seeing a livematch in action, the first beach chukkas will be taking place on West Sands on 27 September. This will be followed by a BBQ and dinner at Forgan’s, the club’s sponsor. With teams coming from Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Stirling this will be a great opportunity to watch some high quality polo.

The social side of the club is also very active. There are weekly Tuesday night socials where members can make the most of the discounts that Forgan’s provide for the club. There are many social members who are vital to the continuation of the club and as such socials, parties and other events are planned to keep them in the loop. Although top secret at the moment, the club is planning a big event for next month.

The highlight of the year, however, will doubtless be the charity tournament next semester. The polo itself will be out of the top drawer and the after-party will be on the same level, or so they say.

The St Andrews Polo club is wellconnected, with close links to other clubs based both in the UK and abroad. Their annual trip to Argentina after semester one will give all players the opportunity to experience the incredible atmosphere of Buenos Aires. All who have been speak in the most royal of terms of it.

As more people get involved the club will continue to grow and that is something that benefits all. Those already in the club are very passionate about polo and they are just trying to share this joy around.