Library opening hours to be increased

0

The library is to increase its opening hours following pressure from student representatives.

The changes, which will be made from week five of this semester, will see the building open from 8 am until 2 am every day during term time.

This will provide students with an extra eight hours of study time at weekends. The library is currently open from 8 am until midnight on Friday, 10 am until midnight on Saturday, and 10 am until 2 am on Sunday.

The Students’ Association director of representation, Ondrej Hajda said: “I would like to thank everyone involved in the negotiations – from our class representatives, school presidents, and SRC members, to the library, Estates and other University staff – for being dedicated to continuous improvement of the St Andrews student experience.”

The Association led discussions with library staff and initiated the Student Library Survey in November 2013 as part of its efforts to gain more study space for students.

A spokesperson for the Association did not clarify why the changes were delayed until week five, but said: “The Students’ Association believes that these improvements, in conjunction with the opening of a new area in the Gateway Building later in semester one, will help curtail the acute pressures on study spaces faced by the students of St Andrews.

“However, the Association will maintain its steadfast commitment to the student experience in advocating for continual advancements in the quality and quantity of study spaces.”