Three of St Andrews’ best known restaurants are under new ownership, after being acquired by G1 Group.

The Doll’s House on Church Square, The Grill House on St Mary’s Place and The Glass House on North Street are now under the wing of the Glasgow based firm, which already runs Mitchells Deli, Forgan’s and The Vic.

Speaking to The Saint, a spokesperson for G1 Group said: “We are delighted to have welcomed The House Group portfolio into the G1 Group fold. These are institutional venues within St Andrews, and our immediate priority has been to ensure it is ‘business as usual’ and customers enjoy the same warm and welcoming experience as they have previously.

“Our immediate plans moving forward will be to support the existing team of 70 staff across the three venues as we move into festive trading time – a very exciting period for restaurants.

“Long term, we will be working hard to build on the strengths of these unique businesses, and to expand their offerings to suit the needs of St Andrews locals and visitors alike.”

G1 Group manages over 40 restau- rants, bars, clubs, cinemas and hotels throughout Scotland.

The company controversially made headlines last year when one of its premises in Glasgow, the Shimmy nightclub, installed a two-way mirror that allowed guests to look inside the female bathrooms. The mirror has since been removed following a request from the city’s licensing board.

The addition of the House restaurants to its portfolio means that G1 Group now manage six sites in St Andrews.

According to visitstandrews.com, there are 27 “fine and casual dining” restaurants in the centre of the town. G1 Group’s premises therefore have a share of around 22 per cent.

This situation may prompt fears that such a proportion in a place the size of St Andrews is unhealthy, especially with all six outlets being among the most popular destinations in town.

The spokeswoman for G1 Group, however, was keen to emphasise their differences: “These venues are all markedly unique in their style and offering, which we pride ourselves on.”

The Saint understands that there has been little reaction from local businesses. At press time, staff at all three House restaurants had been contacted but had not replied to requests for comment.