Tributes to Hamish at his statue. Photo: Elliot Davies

Today brings the sad news that Hamish McHamish, St Andrews’ most beloved and famous cat, has passed away.

His passing was announced on Hamish’s popular Facebook page this morning.

According to the post, Hamish died this morning of a chest infection, which he had been battling for some time. The 15-year-old cat died with his owner, Marianne Baird, by his side.

With his furry ginger coat, this feline friend of the town has become a well-known figure not only in St Andrews, but around the world. His popularity on social media brought him to the attention of students, locals and tourists alike, with 6,537 likes on his Facebook page. He has appeared on The One Show and was the subject of his own book, Hamish McHamish of St Andrews: Cool Cat About Town.

In April of this year, a statue of Hamish was erected in his honour on Logies Lane.

The announcement on Facebook read: “In the end, the chest infection that he had been battling proved too much for him and the kindest thing to do was to let him go. Thank you Hamish for the years of joy you’ve given us and for letting us all be part of your life. May your remarkable spirit live on forever in the town you loved… and ruled! Here’s to you, old chum.”

The response to Hamish’s death on social media is a testimony to his widespread fame. Tweets on his passing can be seen below.

The Saint is sorry to hear of Hamish’s passing and our thoughts are with those who knew him best.