When? Wednesday 17 September

Where? Kinkell Byre

Price? £25

With merely a week to go until semester one officially kicks off, event announcements are coming in thick and fast for the months ahead.

If we’re honest, with the same string of annual events appearing year after year, it can start to feel a little predictable by the time your fourth Freshers’ Week comes around. But this year it seems that something new has managed to wriggle its way onto the St Andrews must-attend list: CROSSWALK.

The event will be taking place at Kinkell Byre (clearly this year’s committee have learned from the Bowhouse fiasco) which DONT WALK, the organisers behind the event, have announced will be “transformed into the fun fair of your dreams with classic fairground rides and some recent additions which will quite literally sweep you off your feet and propel you into new levels of exhilaration”.

An assault course has also been promised for those who are feeling up to it, as well as other (slightly more odd-sounding) activities like pole jousting and a high striker. (I have no idea what either of the latter activities actually involve, but DONT WALK is nothing if not a bit out there.)

Opting for an Octoberfest-esque schedule, the event will be taking place in the middle of the afternoon – meaning that even those with 9 am classes on Thursday have no excuse.

Conor Fennessy, DONT WALK’s director for the coming year, said: “Everybody at DONT WALK is incredibly excited to be launching for the year ahead with an event unlike anything St Andrews has witnessed before. It has always been part of DONT WALK’s philosophy to be extroverted and I think that CROSSWALK certainly achieves that. This is an event for everyone.”

Commenting on the charitable aspect of DONT WALK, he continued: “We’re also proud that CROSSWALK and all of DONT WALK’s activities for the year ahead will be in aid of the New York-based Robin Hood Foundation. As a charity with strong New York roots, we are honoured to be able to work with an organisation that so relentlessly tackles poverty and inequality. This is the start of a special year for DONT WALK; and CROSSWALK will be a fitting opening”.

Tickets for the event are on sale now via the CROSSWALK website, so don’t miss out on what looks set to be the weirdest (but perhaps most wonderful) Wednesday afternoon that you’ve ever had in St Andrews.

Want to get free tickets to the hottest events in town? The Saint is looking for new events writers and we’d love to hear from you! Email our events editor, Alison (events@thesaint-online.com), for more info or visit our stand at the Freshers’ Fayre.