All roads lead to London for “focal part” of rugby calendar

0

This Saturday, 27 September, sees the return of the annual varsity rugby match between the St Andrews Men’s First XV and their Edinburgh counterparts.

For the fourth year in succession the big grudge match will be held at Richmond Athletic Ground, the home of London Scottish.

Many St Andrews alumni will be in the stands to see if the team can replicate their 24-15 success last year. It was the first time the Saints had won the competition since it had ventured south in 2010.

Last year’s man of the match and current captain Danny Clink is under no illusions about the importance and the uniqueness of the match.

“It’s unlike any other match you play at university in terms of atmosphere and emotion. There is a real occasion about it and the St Andrews alumni provide a terrific support.”

Despite Dundee being the traditional rivals of the stereotypical royal town, Clink believes “the rivalry (with Edinburgh) is also developing year-on-year and the match is a focal part of our rugby calendar.”

On a personal level, Clink is keeping his emotions close to his chest although he has admitted that captaining the team in such a special fixture will be a privilege.

“To captain the side is a massive honour and I’m relishing the game. What it means to me though is really between me and our group of guys at the moment- and I think it will only totally sink in after the match.”

Although always a close game, as current BUCS champions, the Rugby Club will be hoping to continue the successes of last season and venture back over the border with the bragging rights close at hand.