A University professor has recently been honoured by the British Academy. Professor N Thomas Wright was awarded the Burkitt Medal for his work in biblical studies.

Professor Wright described himself as “thrilled and astonished”, saying that it was “a great honour” to have been chosen by the British Academy.

A research professor of New Testament and early Christianity studies at St Mary’s College, Professor Wright’s main areas of study are Paul and his letters, Jesus and the Gospels in their first century contexts.

He is currently one of eight professors within the School of Divinity and was formerly the Bishop of Durham Cathedral. In 2012, St Mary’s Seminary and the University awarded him an Honorary Doctor of Divinity.

The Burkitt Medal was first awarded in 1923 to recognise special service to biblical studies. The medal is one of over 15 awards given annually by the British Academy for excellence in academic disciplines, such as political science, psychology and Celtic studies.

Only 19 scholars are given such a distinction each year.  Award winners for 2014 include renowned political commentator and linguist Professor Noam Chomsky.

Professor Wright is not the only member of the University’s School of Divinity to have recently been granted this award. In 2008, Professor Richard Bauckham was given the Burkitt Medal for his work on the character and influence of apocalyptic thought and writings.