Cooking: surviving Freshers’ Week

0

Freshers’ 2014 has finally arrived, and with it has come the scent of fresh excitement mixed with slight desperation as members of the class of 2018 scamper about their new home in search of some best friends. Don’t worry, you will find them – after all, that’s what Freshers’ Week is about.

Like many before you, you may find that while you were a fearless leader at the Union, oozing with confidence and reeking of vodka, come the morning there is a different story to tell. You soon realise that university and living on your own, while having many perks, also comes with new responsibilities you might not be used to – a major one being food.

Regardless of whether you are living in a catered or non-catered hall, cooking for yourself is something you will inevitably be faced with. Now that you are living on your own you are your own personal chef, which can be simultaneously fun and terrifying. Fear not, for I am here to guide you in your pursuit of a culinary instruction guide.

If you are truly a beginner it is perhaps best to start with the basics.  A good start would be the charmingly simple pita pizza; delicious and quick. All you need is pita bread, marinara sauce and mozzarella. Preheat your oven to 400F and then pop in your personal pizza for seven minutes or so. Voila!

This is just a basic recipe and the fun comes from making it your own. Add pesto in place of marinara sauce, add some type of meat or maybe even add some veggies (go ahead and make your parents proud, after all you are an adult now).

pizza

Don’t forget that cooking can be social; after all, you know what they say: a corridor that cooks together, stays together. Don’t be shy – gather up some people and cook a group dinner. Group pasta is easily shared, easily made and a very affordable dinner option. To seek further help, never under estimate the internet and thus the power of Pinterest.

In all seriousness, we have all been there and you will survive. There are tons of great recipes and cooking tutorials at your fingertips so get out there and conquer your foolish fears of cooking!