Cara Delevingne for Topshop

0

Think of Cara Delevingne and a multitude of images spring to mind: a model, fashion icon and owner of the most coveted brows in history. Since entering the industry, back in 2010, Cara has become a force to be reckoned with. She has gone on to become an international celebrity, winning Model of the Year in 2013, and not content at stopping there she has recently turned her hand at acting as well.

This is still not enough for the infamous Delevingne sister. Cara, who has been compared to the legend Kate Moss throughout her modelling career, is going to follow in Moss’ footsteps by teaming up with Topshop, where she will be the campaign girl for AW14. Shooting previews with Cara can be viewed on Topshop’s YouTube channel giving us a look at Topshop’s new season clothing before it hits the shops.

The shoot certainly seems to encapsulate Cara’s sense of dressing and has a unique quality to it. Set in what looks like a decadent but modern manner house, the shoot has a sense of sophistication mixed with the inherent craziness that comes with casting Cara. The shoot and collection also have a distinct rock and roll edge to it, with Cara posing with a guitar in hand in an aloof air.

Topshop is hitting all of the key trends for the upcoming season, the most prominent of which being the new trend of mingling and clashing textures. One texture will no longer do: you must layer them all together to create effortless glamour. What’s better yet is that this trend can suit day wear and evening wear, so it will follow in your wardrobe from the Buchanan building to the Lizard.

For daytime dressing there is a focus on a mix of leather effect trousers, parka jacket with fur trim and sturdy boots with shearling lining and tongue; wearable and snug for a day about town. This was styled with a plain white vest top which holds the look together to make it appear simply effortless.

Things are taken up a notch for evening wear. I spied a few fabulous dresses that will no doubt be spotted at many of the balls come September. The emphasis here was on decadence with plenty of diamantes and fur… and one or two feathers. A stand out amongst the dresses is a classic LBD. It will suit a multitude of occasions but has a twist, as it is backless with bejewelled straps. Normally, the word “bejewelled” would have me running for the hills, yet this dress, although fitting this description, does have a certain elegance about it which allows me to let this one slide. When paired with a soft, baby cream fur (faux) cover up it screams sophistication and money, despite having an affordable price tag. The other dress featured in the preview is the polar opposite to the latter. It is cream coloured, long sleeved and has sparkles all over. This is also where the feathers come out to play with a smattering of delicate strands around the bottom and hem of the skirt. It is a definite party dress and would look perfect at the Christmas ball (nothing like planning ahead).

For those who like a more tailored look, Cara naturally pulls off the continuing trend in fashion the ‘boy meets girl’ clothing. This consists of a lot of tailored tux suits that gives an edge to evening apparel. Crisp, clean and fitted lines keep this look youthful and sultry. Easily paired with sky high heels for night time or as Cara shows us, by pairing the tux jacket with a pair of ripped jeans and leather boots it transforms into a smart/casual lunch look.

So, whatever your style, there is bound to be a way of working a little Cara chic into your uni wardrobe this autumn. Just keep your eyes peeled on the Topshop website for the launch date.