Students take to the stands as Rory romps to victory

0

Last Sunday the world watched as Rory McIlroy raised the fabled Claret Jug on the links at Royal Liverpool in Hoylake. People swarmed around televisions while the fairways and greens were surrounded with expectant spectators. On the grandstands at the 18th green, however, the members of the University of St Andrews Golf Society were honouring a long-standing tradition and marshalling the crowds.

The Golf Society’s mutually beneficial agreement with the R&A is one of the privileges that golfers studying in St Andrews have, providing them with a week-long pass to watch as much of the golf as they want when not working.

Speaking as one of the marshals myself, the group of 40 thoroughly enjoyed their week of golf, sun and of course a day of biblical downpours.

Although there were several organisational difficulties Will Hutton, Alex Hill and Chris Goodship did a fabulous job of keeping the operation running smoothly to ensure the tradition will continue next year as The Open prepares to return to St Andrews.

All students working were a credit to themselves and the University. For anyone reading this with even the slightest interest in golf, this is not an opportunity you get too often so take it while you have the chance.

Standing pin-high when the winning putt is rolled at The Open is a privilege you will usually have to pay a lot of money for.