In the latest advancement in the Union redevelopment, Sandy’s Bar will open tomorrow, Friday 13 June.

Photo credit: Daniel Palmer
Photo credit: Daniel Palmer

Sandy’s will provide a traditional pub venue for the students of St Andrews, to complement the main bar area which is set to open imminently.

According to Daniel Palmer, the outgoing director of events and services, this opening has come sooner than expected. In light of this, Sandy’s will be used to screen World Cup matches for the enjoyment of students still in town.

The director-elect of events and services, Leon O’Rourke, said: “It was an amazing experience as a first day on the job to see the new bar spaces near completion. Both Sandy’s and the soon-to-be-opened main bar surpassed my expectations in these early stages and have ramped up my excitement for the year ahead.

“Sandy’s offers the opportunity to us as a Students’ Association to enable a broader range of pub based activities and nights to our students. The space will hopefully be used by us, in tandem with societies and sub committees, to host open mic and acoustic nights, karaoke and pub quizzes in a space kept separate from the feel of the main bar or Venue 1.

“The opening of these bar spaces has been timed perfectly to coincide with the World Cup, and Sandy’s will be showing all the games live on our big screen.  A list of the World Cup matches can be found at www.yourunion.net/worldcup.